The Effect of Fermentation on the Characteristics and Antioxidant Activity of Wuluh Starfruit Leaf Kombucha Tea (Avverhoa bilimbi Linn.)
Kombucha is a fermented drink that provides health effects. Wuluh starfruit leaves are one of the ingredients that can be used in making kombucha. This study was conducted to determine the effect of fermentation time on the physical, chemical, and antioxidant characteristics of wuluh starfruit leaf kombucha tea (Avverhoa bilimbi Linn.). This research is an experimental study with a completely randomized design (CRD) consisting of 4 treatments. Kombucha wuluh starfruit leaves are made with a fermentation time of 0, 4 8, and 12 days. The physical characteristics tested include an organoleptic test of scent, color, and taste. The chemical characteristics tested include pH, levels of titrated acids (tta), phenolic, and alcohols. The antioxidant activity is known by determining the value of IC50. Organoleptic, pH, tat, and phenolic assessment data were statistically analyzed using Kruskal Wallis and Mann Whitney. Alcohol content and antioxidant activity were analyzed descriptively. The best result of physical, and chemical characteristics and antioxidant activity are on the 12th day of fermentation with a pH of 3, TTA 0.11 0.070%, phenolic 87.33 1.140 mg/ml GAE and alcohol of 0.41% with an IC50 value of 3.65 ppm.
Copyright (c) 2023 Fanny Fajrin Aulia Rosyada, Eva Agustina, Hanik Faizah
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Copyright on any article is retained by the author(s).
- The author grants the journal, the right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.
- The article and any associated published material is distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.